Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, 75% of sustainable meat purveyor D’Artagnan’s business was dedicated to restaurant sales with the remaining 25% split between e-commerce and retail. But when restaurants unexpectedly shut down in mid-March, that revenue disappeared overnight. CEO Ariane Daguin quickly pivoted to address the 500% spike in demand from e-commerce and 83% increase from retail, redeploying employees to different departments, adjusting product offerings to meet consumer needs and implementing initiatives to support the supply chain and industry partners.

To raise awareness for the company as a safe and convenient meat source among consumers and drive traffic to the e-commerce site, Peppercomm sprung into action to deploy a 360-degree, aggressive media relations strategy to garner positive press among key business and consumer media. Peppercomm targeted top-tier business media offering Ariane as an expert source to speak to her business pivot, the impact on meat supply and other timely COVID-related issues. On the consumer front, the team leveraged holidays, trends and company initiatives garner coverage in A-list food and lifestyle outlets.

The results were meaty. From mid-March to June, coverage of the brand skyrocketed with major national news outlets including Associated Press, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post covering the state of the food industry and D’Artagnan’s successful pivot. E-commerce offerings received plenty of attention from food and lifestyle media, too, with editorial coverage in Food & Wine, Esquire, Bon Appetit and many more. To date, the team has secured a total of 262 media placements for D’Artagnan’s e-commerce pivot and product offerings, garnering a potential reach over 1.7 billion readers.